Friday, March 11, 2005

A sonnet by Sir Thomas Wyatt

Farewell love and all thy laws forever...
Farewell, love, and all thy laws forever,
Thy baited hooks shall tangle me no more.
Seneca and Plato call me from thy lore
To perfect wealth, my wit for to endeavor.
In blind error when I did persever,
Thy sharp repulse that pricketh aye so sore
Taught me in trifles that I set no store,
But scape forth, since liberty is lever.
Therefore, farewell, go trouble younger hearts,
And in me claim no more authority;
With idle youth go use thy property,
And thereon spend thy many brittle darts.
For hitherto though I have lost my time,
Me list no longer rotten boughs to climb.

Any thoughts?

5 Comments:

Blogger belag said...

Oksi nicely done...

How does your interpretation go in hand with the nature of the Pertrarchan sonnet

8:13 PM  
Blogger belag said...

Oksi nicely done...

How does your interpretation go in hand with the nature of the Pertrarchan sonnet

8:13 PM  
Blogger belag said...

Oksi nicely done...

How does your interpretation go in hand with the nature of the Pertrarchan sonnet

8:16 PM  
Blogger belag said...

Oksi nicely done...

How does your interpretation go in hand with the nature of the Pertrarchan sonnet

8:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

these comments are really helpful...what i would like to add(a totally personal point of view)is that, when the poet says,"...I have lost my time", it may also mean that quite literally the poet is bogged down by old age, and his vengeance or disappointment rather in this aspect, is against Time rather than his beloved or Love.time ravages all, and since the poet won't win this war against Time, he feels dejected and lost. therefore he doesnt have the courage or energy to start all over once again...more so, because his love was never fulfilling as the sonnet strongly suggests.

12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home